"Can you believe Tony?!" I hissed at Tosin, furious.


It was my twentieth birthday, and my friends, Tosin, Chris and Tony had taken me on a fun day trip. Tosin had been my roommate and bestie for a year before we met the guys. They were cousins and a year ahead of us in school, and somehow we became friends. Tosin and Chris started dating after six months but we all remained really close. Tony's parents had gifted him with one of their cars on his admission into university, and for my birthday cruise, we visited a zoo out of town. Then we decided to have an early dinner at a cosy restaurant before heading back, and Tony had just ruined it by asking me out in front of the others, right in the middle of the meal.

I had been dumbfounded, till Tosin kicked my feet under the table and told me, "It's been five minutes, girl you need to say something."

What I'd said was, "I need to pee."

She had followed me after the waiter pointed out the 'restrooms', and she replied now, "You either want to date him or not. What's there not to believe? It's no big deal."

There was only a room each for the male and female toilets, both sharing a corridor. I was going to knock to see if the females' was vacant when I heard movement inside so I paused to face her. "No big deal...seriously? Tony's the last person I'd want to date, I just don't see him like that. Now think how awkward our friendship will get after tonight. Or am I supposed to see him and act like everything's normal?"

Tosin said, "Anyway, if you're turning him down, please do it in the least painful way. That was a really sweet speech he gave."

"
Exactly why I'm so pissed. I'm going to feel so heartless saying no." I groaned. "I'm so not liking this."

"Sure you can look into my eyes and tell me you don't fancy him one bit? 'Cause I always thought there was some chemistry between you two."

I told her, meaning it, "I don't want him."

She hit me fast then and motioned towards the toilet. There were two pairs of legs visible from under the door, and muffled voices from within. Tosin giggled mischievously and whispered, "Looks like something's going down. We might have to come back later. Don't wet yourself."

"This is a public toilet. That better not be what I'm guessing."

I must have made a face, because she winked at me and said, "I tried it once too, the fear of getting discovered is a thrill, trust me."

"Yeah, I've been meaning to talk to you about living in with Chris. Don't you think..." I froze mid-sentence as the door handle turned and out came a petite, fair woman. She couldn't have been up to thirty years of age, and was immediately followed by a chortling young man, both holding hands and seemingly oblivious of the rest of the world.

They both looked unashamedly dishevelled, and Tosin muttered as they left, "Newlyweds, most likely."

I nodded. I had seen the blinding rock on the woman's finger, though I hadn't noticed any on the man's.

Tosin, staring after them, said with longing, "They must be so in love they can't keep their hands off each other. Awww."

I told her, "And that's something for you to look forward to, but not when you're already staying with Chris. Move back to the hostel, Tosin. It's been two months."

She rolled her eyes and mumbled "Such a prude" as I went to pee, but I hoped she'd think about it.
 
 
 
* * *

I went home the following weekend, and mum told me as we made breakfast, "A new colleague of your father's moved in next block with his wife during the week. We're hosting them for lunch."

Hours later, when I heard my ten-year old twin brothers scramble for the door, and mum and dad's voices, I knew our guests were around before they called out for me. I joined them at the dining table and dad introduced proudly, "Oyin, my princess. Meet Dr and Mrs Davies."

The pudgy, pleasant-looking man remarked on my striking resemblance with dad, and mum nicely asked, "So how're you finding the neighbourhood?"

"Actually," the man replied with a wink, "I've been really busy with my new married life and work to notice. I guess I liked it before moving in though." He laughed. His wife didn't seem to speak much, but she probably needn't with such pretty smile.

"How long have you been married?" Dad asked, smiling at them.

"Three months." He took her hand in his. "Three blissful months, and they've been the best of my life."

The sincerity with which he said those words made me look to see if she was blushing as much as I was on her behalf, and then it struck me. I had seen that face before.

Bored, my brothers started to fidget in their chairs, and mum took it as a cue to start serving the dishes as the man continued saying, "As a matter of fact, it is our third month anniversary. Sophie?"

"Yes, darling." She looked at him shyly while I mentally browsed my memory to try to recollect where I'd seen her before. She could've just reminded me of someone I knew, but I was too sure I'd seen her in particular—the perfect oval face, it's flawless golden brown colour, the slight curve of the lips in a gentle smile, the child-like innocence in those eyes.

He brought her hand to his lips and said, staring into her eyes, "It's amazing how I never get tired of telling you much I love you."

Something else had caught my attention though. That piece of jewellery on her fourth finger, how could I have forgotten! I knew I'd seen her before! I gasped, delighted as it all came back to me—this woman, this man, that toilet, my birthday. I wondered if either of them had noticed me that day and how they'd feel if they knew what I knew. Embarrassed, maybe? Or would the freaks in them still not care? I couldn't wait to tell Tosin!

"I love you," he repeated, all his love shining through his eyes.

But...the man I saw the other day was far younger and taller than this. And did this man just say they'd been married for three months? I knew what I saw that day. And that was only a week ago. Gosh!

To my horror, she cooed in reply, "I love you too, darling," and even accompanied it with a kiss I'd describe as loving if I didn't know better. No, you don't love him, I argued inside of me, almost blurting it out and feeling sick. You don't love someone and cheat on them like that, that's not what love is!

A tear rolled down my cheek as I watched them, though I wasn't sure why; pity at the poor, sweet man's unequalled love, or the sheer brilliance of the Oscar-deserving act she just put up.




*****************************************
Morountodun is a writer and a microbiology graduate of University of Ilorin.
Twitter: @Morountosweet


*****************************************
Are you a writer? Interested in sharing your short stories on this platform? Be our guest on our Short Story Fridays segment.

Email: ololade.olatunji@yahoo/gmail.com































































Axact

LoladeVille

Ololade is a passionate writer, Loyal Nigerian and Creative Director of Loladeville .

Post A Comment:

4 comments: