•  A Nigerian girl, Nneoma Nwankwo has emerged the student of the year at Virginia Polytechnic  and Institute and State University. 
    The award recognizes a graduating student who has achieved overall excellence during his or her undergraduate career at the university. It's the most prestigious non-academic undergraduate award given at Virginia Tech and is awarded to a student who has exceptional and balanced achievement in academics, leadership, and service.

    Come May, 2016, Nneoma who has maintained a 3.9 GPA will graduate with a degree in Political Science. Nwankwo is minoring in public and urban affairs and creative writing.


  • Nwankwo said: “At Virginia Tech, I have been challenged to live in service to others. I have learned how to lead boldly as I pursue my global development interests. Ultimately, I have discovered that Ut Prosim (That I May Serve) is an active verb, and when I serve those around me, I create a meaningful life for myself.” She said.

     In fall 2013, she undertook an independent study on the negative effects of poor menstrual hygiene management (MHM) on the education and socio-economic empowerment of girls in undeserved areas of sub-Saharan Africa.

    She has held many leadership positions across campus. She served as the fundraising chair for the African Students Association and raised money for a local charity in Ethiopia. Fluent in English and Igbo and conversationally proficient in French, Yoruba, and Swahili. She is a coach at the Virginia Tech Writing Center and was international columnist for the Collegiate Times student-run newspaper.

    She was recipient of the Overton R. Johnson Scholarship and the Accenture Scholarship. She has accepted a full-time position at Citibank in New York City. She will continue to conduct research on MHM.

Axact

LoladeVille

Ololade is a passionate writer, Loyal Nigerian and Creative Director of Loladeville .

Post A Comment:

0 comments: